Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crowds of Individuals

There’s something inspiring in anonymity the morning of an event as a speaker. You slide through the masses and enjoy being there, watching the crowds. Saturday morning while doing so, I ran into an old acquaintance who was working hard to put out breakfast for all the conference attendees and I paused on my way to set up a power point with a “Why, hello! How is your family?” She looked me over kindly and surprised and said, “What brings you here? Are you teaching a skill class after today?” “Yes, I am, in fact!” I smiled back. I didn’t mention that the board of the church invited my friend and I to bring the day’s conference to their church, leaving me wearing microphone headgear most of the day, until that skill class late that afternoon.




I left the Speaker Room in search of water, and ran into a dear little lady who seemed to be an expert on the subject. I asked if I could take water to the room and maybe have a cup, myself, when she said, “I just tried to serve the speaker some water, actually. But she was kneeling there, so I didn’t want to interrupt her. Yeah, you can take it to her if she’s done praying and ask if she needs anything. Its over there.” She pointed hurriedly as she rushed off to prepare a plate of goodies for…the “speaker.” Oh, how I smiled inside and wondered how many people there are who look just like me…



As I stood in line in the bathroom, a kind woman commented at my black notebook and little pile of stapled notes, “My, you like to take notes? Yeah, I guess it is good to take some notes at these things.” I laughed inside and replied out loud, “Yes, you’re right! I do love to have good notes on days like today.”



But why do I tell these silly vignettes? I tell you because things change by afternoon into what my little sister dubs “coolness worship.” Because people treat people differently depending on whether they are considered as “somebody.” Why do we do this? Should we not treat everyone with the same respect, polite regard, and excitement to see and speak with them? God asks us to, and that should be enough. And imagine how much fun it is anyway, to light up brightly and say “hello” to everyone! Every person God brings across our paths is an opportunity to be kind, thoughtful, and loving – yes, every one.



A young lady named Alivia comes to mind at this exact moment. From my desk at work, I can see her from the corner of my eye as she greets everyone individually, sweetly, and brightly as they come through the door, despite their appearance, behavior, or station. She seems to draw no lines, as she makes everyone’s day brighter. It is not just because she is a paid receptionist: I have seen many in that position who seem unable to afford a smile. At Alivia’s wedding, I followed behind with a camera and watched her respond to everyone and everything: that same sweet calmness acknowledged everyone else on her day. When at times I wanted to step in and say, “Everyone out! Please leave her alone! Take care of it yourself!” she graciously made all feel special.



I also think of Jesus. How many people missed being His friend as He walked on earth just because He looked so normal? We know the glad-hearted, lively children who rushed Him to say “Hello!” were honored and set up as an example. We all desire the love and respect of that perfect greeting, yet do we miss our opportunities to pause and extend the same to others? I don’t want to miss seeing Jesus where you least expect to meet up. He’s usually in the crowd, watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment