Friday, August 12, 2011

Fly on the Wall

Suppose I give my perspective. I'm always watching. My brother Ben is such a sensitive caring guy, with a servant's heart rivaled only by his intelligence. OK, yeah, I'm bragging: but, being honest.  It seems my brothers get stalked every so often by girls who should be warned my bite is worse than my bark if they start reversing the rules to the old game, "Boy Chase Girl." But, there was one girl that made my heart skip a beat...

I stumbled in the front door from work, peeling off a suit jacket, carrying purses and bags every way possible. When I glanced up, it turned out my brother was a coaching a debate club gathering in the living room, which suddenly became a fleeting awkward moment where everyone stares at the intruder with a giant question mark overhead. But I only saw one girl. Jess was off to herself and only looked up occasionally when it was with the answers or a question. Her long legs holding her up against a wall, notebook and pen in hand, she flipped beautiful blonde hair just like my mother's, out of her eyes. My radar went off. Even from where I was, I could tell she liked my brother...And I liked her.

Sometime later, and a couple years ago, our family took a Memorial Day weekend trip to the Rancho in Eastern WA. I love to go for long walks, hikes, or take a run early in the morning or late at night. Or in the afternoon. One evening, I asked Ben to take a walk with me, mainly because he had symptoms. Yes, Ben had the silent symptoms of someone who wishes someone else was in love with them but they won't say a word because they're in love. It makes plenty of sense when you're there, I suppose. But I drew the topic point blank on him and asked him, "What's this about Jessica?" I'll never forget the look on his face! He stopped in the road, his face pale and eyes huge, asked me, "You KNOW?" I smiled.

We had one of those three hour, super-personal brother-sister conversations where I told him he needed to take some action or he was going to explode. And he agreed with me. Naturally: he was in love with someone and I said he needed to talk about it. We prayed and walked and he made some decisions.
"But what if she doesn't like me?" he asked, concern in his eyes.
"Lucky for you, that's already NOT a problem."
"What? How do you know? She ignores me, we don't talk, I was her coach and her manager, for goodness sake, it could all just seem so weird and insulting and ruin her life..." his words jumbled together and tumbled out.
"It won't be like that. You'll see. She's already a goner, too." I smiled at him.

Sure enough, it turns out they can't stay away from each other, even when they've tried. Last Saturday out on the Dungeness Spit, Ben asked her to marry him. She said "yes" and it makes me so happy! They belong together in every way and its wonderful to watch them together. Thank you, Lord, for bringing her into our family and answering many prayers for "the right one." Isn't she just incredibly gorgeous, to top it all off?




Photos by Jeremy McMahan

No comments:

Post a Comment