Friday, June 8, 2012

Part III -- The Impossible Phone Call

Hold music twinkled through and I couldn't wait for the answer. The receiver lifted and a cheery voice sung out, "Thank you for calling ______, this is Mary! How may I assist you today?"

"Well, my name is Johanna, and I was calling to request some books for a girls conference next month!"

"Certainly, let me take your order. Let's get started."

I felt God's push and blurted out, "Well, Mary, actually God needs you to give me 100 copies of your book ____ for me to actually give away to the girls. I know the books don't belong to you, so I know you can't give them to me, but if you could put me through to talk to the person who can give them away, I know God would appreciate it."

There was a brief silence, and then Mary said, "Um, well, ok. That's pretty unusual, but I'll let you talk to my supervisor, for sure." Some time went by and finally the phone was picked up again. I half felt like I was definitely sunk, and my bigger half felt like I was on the top of the world and just getting started.

"Hello, this is Pattie." A solemn voice spoke to me.

"Hi there!" I called out, boldly, loudly, cheerfully mustering as much enthusiasm as God gives. "God would like you to give me 100 copies of the book _____ for a girls conference next month! The website for our conference is http://www.beautifulforgod.com/ and we know God is going to amazing things and that He wants you to be a part of it! Will you join with us?"

There was silence. So I dived in again, since I was already in the deep end. "I understand if the books don't belong to you to give away, but since God asked me to ask for them, I am willing to talk to whoever they belong to about getting them shipped out, ASAP!"

"Well, you're right. I don't--I mean, we don't give books away here. Have we talked before? I don't remember anything about this. This has to run through our Board, you know. I'll have to talk to them. And-yeah..."

"Pattie, I will talk to them since God has given me the vision, I don't want that burden to be on you if it is not your vision also."

There was another silence and then, suddenly, miraculously, and sparkling, "Johanna, now I have the vision, too. I will call you back in ten minutes."

I sat back into the chair, thanking the Lord for boldness to do whatever He asks. Seven minutes later, the ringer and vibration began to bounce my cell phone across the desk. I jumped and grabbed for it, answering as quickly as humanly possible.

"Hi! This is Pattie! The board wants to give you the books and you have our blessing to give them away to the girls. What's your address? I'll ship 100 books to you today."

I sang for the rest of that day. Our God does impossible things when He wants us to. And I thought you should know that. He is bold when I am not. He is downright impossible, and you can't ignore Him. What is He asking you to do?

8 comments:

  1. What a powerful conclusion! I love it when God does amazing things like that when we only listen to Him and obey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... God is surely faithful! He is using you in a very powerful way! Thank you for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud! God is so good. The Joy of the Lord is our strength!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three parts of this series were very inspiring! I have been in those positions--of taking a step that seemed weird, unexplainable, and unnecessary, to neglecting to obey God's prompting, to nervously struggling to believe that my God wants me to dream big. He certainly does own the cattle on a thousand hills! I can't wait to see those books in July. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mikaela! I would love to hear your stories, too!! I'll keep reading your blog... ;) ;) ~Johanna

      Delete
  5. Praise the Lord! Isn't God amazing! Blessings on your conference.

    ReplyDelete