Monday, January 9, 2012

Cardio Much?

So I know I’m supposed to do cardio exercise to burn fat and strength workouts to build muscle, more or less. And since my fitness is getting to where I look like I want to be a body-builder when I grow up while I definitely don’t want to, I decided I need more cardio. But I never knew how much cardio to do or what is even “cardio,” for me. Hiring a trainer again as been my dream for a while, just so I could pick his brain. So, first he’s training me for something practical like a marathon. Well, because that’s what I wanted.






But I really just want to know what I need to do to get my body to its healthy best in the exercise department. Apparently, I should start by knowing my maximum heart rate. It feels like 140…But I know better. The real formula is good to know.



206.9 – (0.67 x 22 (your age)) = 192.16



So we know that if you take your maximum heart rate, a low intensity workout of 60% to 70% of your number would be a good warm-up. 70% to 80% is considered moderate, burns more calories and gets your body moving inside. 80% to 90% kicks you out of the “comfort zone” into raising your anaerobic threshold, frying calories. If you were to work at 90% to 100%, you’re working as hard as you physically can like an Olympic sprinter, to your very limits, and you don’t go there until you’re ready.




But what I discovered recently is awesome. I know its been around for a while without me and probably everyone else thinks I missed the school bus or something. But, I love the Karvonen Formula! It determines your most effective cardio workout.



206.9 – (0.67 x 22 (age)) = 192.16

192.16 – 70 (resting heart rate) = 122.16

122.16 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 79.4 OR 103.84

79.4 + 70 (resting heart rate) = 149.4

103.84 + 70 (rhr) = 173.84



The target heart rate zone for this person (me) would therefore be 149 to 174. (This doesn’t factor in high blood pressure or other conditions, just so you know.)



If that was remotely confusing, just put your personal info into the equation step-by-step and it will make sense. What to do next with that exciting info? Get cruising. They say building up to 45 to 60 minutes a day at your target heart rate; 3-5 days per week will get you consistently sizzling that fat back to where it belongs, as long as you remember to implement a clean, and ample food plan… (I said “ample” because starving yourself is a cheap, damaging way to get shredded.)



Or you can implement my little sister’s simple calorie burning formula. She based it off of her observation of whales and other blubbery things. But I looked it up a while back, and she’s for real. But, we still recommend monitoring maximum low temperatures, just to be safe.



Low body temperature caused by external conditions * time = easy burn while struggling to stay warm







Sources:
American College of Sport Medicine. (2006) ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise and Testing and Prescription. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Sparkpeople Education Community

ABC NEWS Researchers say cold temperatures help with weight loss





P.S. A few sweet, free smart phone apps I adore are RunKeeper and Instant Heart Rate. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment