Monday, January 23, 2012

Cleaning House

Did you know you can live in a clean house, if you clean it? I know, right? It is quite amazing. All you have to do is get up and clean it, and then it is suddenly fresh, inviting, friendly, and enjoyable. That just hit me a couple days ago. (Don’t be too concerned about me. I’m an epiphany junkie.)


I’m not even kidding. When we are dragged down by something we usually just need to go take care of it. Believe it or not!

• I’m overweight. So, go exercise and eat less.

• I’m tired. So rearrange the schedule and sacrifice for some more sleep.

• My bedroom is filthy. So go put your laundry away, blow on the dust, and throw stuff away.

• I’m hungry. So go eat $1 cheeseburgers or ready-whip on carrots.

• I’m grouchy. So stop it.


OK, I’m not actually that harsh. I know it looks so simple on paper. What holds us back?

• Are we doing more than we should be, running out of time for “the basics”?

• Are we caught up in a mind game with ourselves, debilitated by past failure, depression, lack of will, when we really aren’t stuck there at all?

• Are we lazy or spending too much time “recharging” or “catching up with friends”?

• Do we care about others enough to help them out, or are we selfish, off to ourselves?

Here’s the thing. Nobody can make you do anything. This is where we help ourselves. You get to think and then you get to do. I know I do so much better is someone will just tell me what to do and then I can do it. But we aren’t always that fortunate, and unless we give ourselves a kick in the seat, we don’t budge. What’s piling up around you? The truth is, you actually can clean it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment