Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Not Enough to Know

Crown me the Queen of Awkward. But, overall, it was profitable. On the wall of the men’s restroom this sign was posted. “Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise.” spoken by Charles Spurgeon. It got me thinking as I snuck out unseen. I hope.




It reminded me of another day when my brother and I were running errands or eating or something…



“Joie, I know why people are always calling you and telling you their deeds of misconduct.” My brother elbowed me with a nod of wisdom.



“Why? I thought it was because they know I’m trustworthy and won’t tell you all about it.” I teasingly shot back.



“Ha ha. Actually, its cause you make them feel bad when they’ve been bad without being mean. So people feel like they’ve gotten a spanking and can move on ‘til the next time they need some candy reproof. And that’s why you’re a regular old confessional booth.”



I sighed. I wanted it to be because people know I love them and am always there for them no matter who they are or what they’ve done. Then I started thinking about everyone, including myself. Little children feel better emotionally after a correction, and even from childhood we want justice. People turn themselves in to face sentencing because of the pressure of guilt.



Once you know you’re naughty its never enough to say aloud, “I’m naughty.” You have to do something about it. So often it is just enough satisfying relief to admit wrong or wrong-doing, without making it right as the next step. Its like we’re crying out inside, “Somebody please tell me I’ve been bad so I can feel better!” Then the “stuffing of the reminders” and the “trying to move on” follow up in quick order.



Wait. “So I can feel better?” How empty and selfish. That’s not making anything right. That is just the act of saying, “I just want to get past my hurt feelings and forget about what I did.” Where’s the justice for you in that? No wonder you still feel bad: that’s trying two wrongs to make a right. Call me and I may make you feel a little punishment, but that’s not what you need, either.



You, my friend, need some action. It is called “restitution” or “compensation.” When you’ve been wronged, you feel that something’s been taken away and you want it back or at least replaced, right? Well, the people you’ve wronged are in that boat waiting for you to make it right. You know that…And they are the ones who need to hear from you. Your guilt won’t go away until that’s done.





So, yes, call me. But please don’t just say “I’m naughty.” Become not naughty. Quit stuffing and move past wrong-doing and conviction into the world of freedom. Yes, it is miserably hard when you do it, and right before you do it you may think it’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done. And trust me, it is. But in exchange you get the best thing you’ve ever had: peace.



He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13



But ultimately, we’ve all wronged God in rejecting His offer of loving emancipation from our own wrong-doing. Oddly enough, He’s offered to take that achy guilt that you can’t place a finger on, in exchange for a freedom forever from the ultimate punishment of Hell. The guilt we live in and can’t trace is what we bear today for breaking the basic laws like don’t steal, don’t lie, and don’t lust. Our sense of justice wants us to get in trouble for it and God stands the judge in the courtroom ready to mete out the proper sentence prescribed: Hell. Yet for His own selfless reasons, He’s also offering to cover the penalty for you: and most people skip that and say, “Death, please.” Yes, you’re right. That sounds like a pretty dumb choice. So make it right. Take the gift, be grateful forever, and move on to your better future in real freedom.



That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. John 3:15-21





For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9





And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Colossians 1:13-14



If we could grasp what He’s giving, we would never do wrong again. To begin with, don’t spit in God’s face with rejecting such a generous offer.



P.S. Even if you’ve taken this free gift and have been rescued, your sense of justice inside will be violated again if you aren’t admitting when you’re naughty and making it right—with your actions every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment