Friday, January 6, 2012

Staying Little Making Big

“I love racing people!” she panted to me.


“No you don’t. Race me.” I teased.

“I can’t! You always win!” standing on tip-toes, she slugged at my stomach with her tiny fist.



I love little kids. They say the best things that make me think. And they make the best quotes to add to my repertoire.

• Do spiders get people-veins sometimes?

• You look like a pirate booty.

• I don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re really creeping me out.

• I’m the queen.

• You can’t throw that away! God’s in everything!

• Who is Snow White when it snows?

• You’re fat.

• What color is a hole?



Truth is, their fears are the opposite of most adults. You may not fear what’s under your bed, but do you fear what people think of you? Like a child clutching the quilt with two tiny hands to its chin and wildly huge eyes, fear grips people when they think of speaking out. “What if I lose my job? What if people talk about me behind my back? What if?”




We forget what it is like to be a child. My dad says, “Frogs don’t remember when they were tadpoles.” We also forget that every great history-changer lost their jobs, got talked down, shaken up, and sometimes, killed. And we forget how Jesus put it.



At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-4)





If being bold in doing what we should, if humbling ourselves, if making a difference means entering the Kingdom of Heaven, shouldn’t that be worth it? Nothing anyone will ever say can change your fears. You have to put them down yourself, before they get you. There’s really no choice if you’re going anywhere good.



Common underlying fears that influence people who stay common

• What will others think of me?

• I’m going to lose something.

• I won’t be able to finish well.

• I might fail.

• My past is chasing me down.

• I won’t know what to do.

• I’m not as good as other people.



Who is forcing themselves to ask, “So what?” to those fears in each common daily decision?

• I need to start a more structured lifestyle.

• I need to finally get fit.

• I need to overcome that addiction once and for all.

• I need to actually pursue a better education or job.

• I need to talk to that person, even though it scares me to death.

• I need to make better habits.

• I need to become the person I am called to be.



Because you know that the small decisions to counter your fears will lead you to the great places. And we all know that making the right choices in your new past, is perfect practice for knowing what to do in the big leagues that come therewith.

Source: etsy.com via Johanna on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment