Friday, November 4, 2011

Giving Green Gifts like Red Beard

When I worked at the feedstore, I met some people. Let me clarify: some rather interesting people. One young man came back into my memory recently as I drove past the waste treatment plant on my way home from work. He had puffy red hair, and an enormous coordinating beard. I definitely remember the longish, curly red hair on his arms, reminiscent of a Nordic cat—and that he wore suspenders. The suspenders I remember vividly, because I recall appreciating it every time he chose to wear a shirt underneath them. Perhaps a teenage girl is not supposed to ponder such things while writing receipts at the counter, but I thought that even if I stretched I would neither be able to reach all the way around him with both my arms, nor pat the top of his head with my fingers. He had chickens.


He also drove a car. Yet he was going green, I believe. I am not referring to the clouds of smell around the car, but his dedication to biodiesel and economic fuel sources. Sometimes his car smelled like a Chinese restaurant, other times, like McDonalds. He educated me consistently about alternative fuels and little did I know Indian restaurants used much oil, until his car belched curry in the front lot, as my brother loaded an 80lb sack of wholesome grains into its creaky depths.


I remember him because I have a question. I wanted to know more about my carbon footprint today. What impact am I making on our world with the breaths I exhale, not just in words? If in everyday living my privileged life, I skip giving however I can to the people around me on our failing planet, what will I tell my Creator when He holds me accountable for my life? We have so many opportunities to make our world better, doing even small things…


·         Clean up the trash that careless people drop in nature


·         Do not wash your fruits and vegetables in pesticides: water is adequate


·         Take the time to recycle all kinds of waste, in your kitchen and office


·         Don’t hug trees: they are wild and want to be left alone


·         Give to known or respected organizations or friends who are actively doing aid work


·         Do not drain used motor oil, aerosol sprays, kerosene, fragrances, old paint, and personal sewage where anything will drink, try to grow, or live. Utilize fire and minimize damage.


·         Stay away from unnecessary toxins whenever possible. A simple rule of thumb: if close proximity makes your eyes irritated, don’t ingest or inhale it (except designated food items …for example, horseradishes, sharpies, and wasabis).


·         Don’t turn off your car at every red light, it creates more toxins when you start it again


·         Don’t purchase harmful chemicals; be aware of the ones hiding in body lotion


·         Learn to differentiate between mold, lead, radon, asbestos, food additives, power lines, cancer clusters, and glue as much as possible


I am reading a book called What’s Toxic, What’s Not by Dr. Gary Ginsberg & Brian Toal, M.S.P.H., on knowing how to risk-safeguard your home. I am finding it more informative, sensible, and easy to use than the random information constantly being thrown at us by media sources. The Cosmetic Database at www.cosmeticdatabase.com is my favorite place to look up beauty products to check for toxins and unhealthy additives before I absorb them epidermally. I love keeping up with The National Association for WhatsItCalled and ICan’tRemember, as they are very informative, as well. Nevermind, I remembered. Its called the Environmental Working Group. Seriously, they are very educational and practical.


In a small way, we all can make a positive difference in our world. Not just our beliefs, actions and attitudes like I consistently blog on about, but also in how we give back to our tangible world. Perhaps we ought to give a few green gifts this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment