Friday, November 11, 2011

Monkey See, Monkey Do


One night my sister explained something of humorous interest to the entire family. We nodded, absorbed, and tried not to laugh. She wants to give each of her older siblings a stained-wood, engraved, inlaid box at their first baby shower. Inside will be red velvet, a mirror, and music. Carefully labeled and each in its designated place will lay a retractable spanking rod, with age-progressive sizing options. She also mentioned “sin-progressive” options (i.e. “arm width for black, grimy sins versus the pencil width choice for white sins.”) She was also very specific about the music: “funeral dirge” was her selection. I suggested loud, eerie organ music. Mom’s concern was transporting this large, noticeable kit for travel, as her experience indicates children sometimes misbehave away from home. Elisabeth shook her head educationally, “You are supposed to take out what you need and simply slip it in your purse.” I suggested elegant slipcovers like travel toothbrush cases for such situations. Dad said, “Spoons aren’t that hard to replace.” I think we eventually all broke out into the laughter we had been thereto restraining.

At this moment, I realized what an enormous influence I have upon my sister. Here I had spent some private time off to myself, penning and pouring over child-training books, manuscripts, interviews, and passages just because I will do those sorts of things…and she must have been listening and watching me closely to place such an uncanny interest as a child, upon appropriate child-training. And then to come up with such a creative idea to share...that she proceeded to bravely entrust us to value and approve. Wow...Her sister-worship is stronger than the prospect of promoting discipline in her own home. Or, maybe she didn't think of that connection.

I have nothing to say on this topic “Discipline” really, that can be proven by my multitudinous personal experience. I have no children. I do know that persons are born with a free will and no matter what angel may raise them, they will eventually bend their own life-angle. But, this I also understand.  They are watching. They base what is valuable off of what we value with use of time.

Little people will copy. Talking and telling without showing through our lives’ actions and inner attitudes will create little hypocrite monsters. A reflection of my best and worst traits somehow shows up in the children I do spend time raising. Oh, and I should add that a few other completely random things crop up as well.



But for the record, you are being watched and copied today. Believe it or not.








No comments:

Post a Comment