Friday, November 4, 2011

Week's Worth


While it may pass for “untolerably random,” this actually is a sampling from my past week. Of course, a thousand more moments passed and changed our world, but these are the ones that are here. And now, they are now.

·         Sadly, I had one of those Monday mornings where you walk into the bathroom and your toothbrush is already wet…It wasn’t my sister this time, but she casually commented while I ranted that it wasn’t the first time “things had been done to my toothbrush.” Well, if there’s a lock-box in our bathroom next time you visit, now you know why.



·         My grandmother came to visit again and the cat did not bite her.  One of the spiders took care of that.




·         Single ladies 18 and older are invited to a ladies retreat with me and Ruth Rogers next weekend, November 11 & 12! You don’t want to miss out!!! www.BeautifulforGod.com

·         Leftover wedding food can be vastly underrated.

I'll have a large raspberry Italian soda, please.
Oh, with CHOCOLATE, too...


·         I love my Dad’s accent and the humor it brings into our home. Amazing how “Bavarian” can so easily change into “Barbarian.” So when Dad said at dinner that he was going to take us to a Bavarian Village for a couple days break, we were so excited! I briefly mentioned I wanted to get a small bone to go through my nose and my sister said, poking her peas around her plate, “I just want to get one of those smoking, grass skirts.”



·         To see some beauteous photos of the wedding I was part of in Texas with Jorge and Alisa, go here…www.loispierpont.com



·         Tell me. Does your UPS man slip you his email address and ask you to send him your Top 40 all time favorite songs, or is that just my UPS guy? Now I have homework.




·         I almost bought a wrinkle cream. Then I changed my mind. I decided I don’t want to be applying wrinkles on purpose quite yet.



·         The new Facebook side panel really helps me connect…“Jesus wrote a new note: Psalm 104” And here, all these years I thought it was written by my other friend David.



·         I decorated my little heart out for another wedding reception. It was worth it. And all God’s people chipped in to help. And the rest who could, attended


Setting up decor with the team



·         People thought I was picking weeds, tearing out dead ferns, and cutting down trees. Then I made floral arrangements from all those lovely colors and textures and things were clarified.



·         We prayed for table linens. We looked into renting them and hung up. We tried to buy them and almost gave up. And then an acquaintance I once knew generously loaned us everything we needed. God is amazing and people are so kind!



·         So I have little sister who has taken to making candid videos of my life on hidden cameras. Oh my. It’s actually quite humorous, not to mention revealing.















…Well, what are you looking for? No, of course I’m not posting that here! I’m going to cash in with reality television, instead.



·         It was so amazingly encouraging to have family gather round and drive long distances just to come to my brother’s wedding reception. Blood runs thick and you don’t realize it until you see it.



·         Who would have guessed how much fun the austere, professional Feehans could have getting an old time photo taken? We still haven’t stopped laughing at ourselves. My mother is a natural, private comedian, just sayin’. Until then, I didn’t know one could clutch a knitted purse and jut their solemn jaw so humorously.



·         I appreciate salesmen who realize that not all women are taken by flirting. I also think salesmen are smart when they avoid the boss’ daughter; it’s better to not even go there.  Long story, short.




·         I asked a dear to make 200 plastic tableware packets with napkins and tied with string by herself, and she did it with time to spare. She is amazing, but I may have a future in detention camp leadership making unrecompensed requests of that sort. Don’t shrug like that. That’s truly intense.



·         Never underestimate little siblings. They can get inside your brain. My sis knows I phase her talking out so I can go to sleep at night, so she’s taken to writing what she wants to say on my back with her finger, knowing that I won’t be able to resist the mental exertion necessary to interpret. Sigh.



·         You should try eating mixed jelly beans in the dark. Its experiential. If you like Christmas, you’ll really enjoy it. But if you like jelly beans you’ll appreciate this…



·         I had a couple days where I actually didn’t have to be anywhere I was or get anything or do anything while we were away at the Village. It was wonderful. You can tell by this video clip that my family was basking in the same feeling of nothingness. (Yes, I do realize that I have no future in cinematography, unless topsy-turvy, boring village scenes with garbage can focal points, my laughable commentary, topped off with accordion music is more popular than I think.)Actually, I decided not to put the clip in after all. It is too clear in demonstrating how much I needed a vacation.



·         Note to self: If I must drum the rhythm to the entirety of Jingle Bells with clacking spoons on a younger sibling’s body, I must expect to receive an enthusiastic rendition of the same, for hours on end, upon my own whole person, without restraint.



·         All the leftover gilded pumpkins were given away.



·         There are people that I miss who’ve gone to a better place, and I kept thinking of one in particular this week. This is what I keep humming, when I think of him.



·         I was chatting with a teenage girl this week, and she told me that she easily gets a crush on any young man “who has the sense to like her first and shows it." Hmmm…Say ‘hello’ to Womanhood, my dear! It’s something to think about.



·         Yes, my family did pull over for a photo shoot with a photogenic, metal pig named Harley. I’m not sure if the people inside the small town BBQ place where Harley lives laughed more at us popping out of the van, taking photos and driving away, or if we laughed more at the fact that we were having a blast doing a thing like that.



·         I love Autumn and all its glory. Praise the Lord for His wondrous creation!







·         We had one of those family meetings were everyone sits in the hotel room and apologizes from their guts and we all cry together. Those are the real good times and the stuff memories are made of.



·         If ever a store was made for me, these.three.are.them. Sadly, no photos allowed except for those you take before they say “no photos.” But verily I say unto you, I barely passed thence without paying the uttermost farthing.



·         Sang my favoritest song for Ben and Jess at the reception. It means so much to me and I love it…Someone told me afterwards, “Well, you’re not Celine Dion and I don’t think we’re your ideal audience type.” Wow…Well, perhaps, I was only singing it for my brother and new sister after all?



·         Some things speak for themselves.



·         “Dad, please, can we think of something positive about that one guy who gave me a hard time?”

“No. I’m not that imaginative.”



·         Played a little song together with by new sister’s siblings and my own for Ben & Jess’ wedding reception. We played violins, guitar, autoharp, cello, harmonicas, and sang. Let us just say that little children’s cuteness covers a multitude of inadequacies. (Excuse me, as in “little children” younger than me. Thank you.)



·         Contracted an eye infection from a little girl I babysat. So for the days leading up to the wedding reception, I pushed through life semi-blindly, makeupless, wearing my old glasses, flushing my sore eyes with boric acid. Whereas I thought I was simply emphasizing my inner nerd sporting my frames, some of the kind comments I received included the following.

o   “My, but don’t you look old.”

o   “You look…motherly…today.”

o   “Don’t let her do anything, she looks like she’s about to die. Anything we can do for her will save a life.”

o   “Are you going to be all right?”

o   *brief laughter* “You look cute.”

o   “When can you wear your contacts again, Asian?”

o   “You just look like a grown up, now.”

o   “Professor, please fill me in on all the details.”
Unflattering photo courtesy of resident paparazzi.
(AKA... a certain sister.)



·         THIS encouraged me this week.


·         THIS is where I’m going to spend the rest of my life. I will be impartial with the time with each.




·         I fell in love with the tiniest little salt and pepper shakers on a silver tray at a thrift store. I told the guy in line near me that it is a casualty of being female to fall in love with little things.

 

·         Mmhm. I packed the makings for Italian sodas for our little trip. And yes, we did indeed park in front of DQ to make them.



·         Chatted on the phone with a long lost girlfriend. That was awesome.



·         Some important info I read in a book this week called Don’ts for Husbands published in London in 1913. (Ahem, I read it because I read, that’s the only reason. But it really is a good book.)…

o   “Don’t sharpen pencils all over the house as you walk about. Try a hearth or a waste-paper basket, or a newspaper. It does not improve either carpets or the servants’ temper to find scraps of pencil-sharpenings all over the floors.”

o   “Don’t be conceited about your good looks. It is more than probable that no one but yourself is aware of them; anyway, you are not responsible for them, and vanity in a man is ridiculous.”

o   “Don’t pet your wife when her little finger aches until she imagines herself a martyr to ill health, when there is really nothing the matter with her.”



·         Some things I thought this week

o   Face-time is vastly underrated.

o   Nothing.

o   Naptime.

o   “The moments when I truly live are the moments when I act with my whole will.” Oswald Chambers

o   Bedtime.

o   Sleeptime.

o   You cannot act on behalf of others, only inspire.

o   Is it morning already?

o   No.

o   Yes.

o   Chocolate.

o   A God Who makes us His children is not afraid of spanking.

o   No shave November is supremely uncomfortable and therefore has been discontinued by this female.

o   If I marry, my poor man will not drive alone on early mornings looking depressed, ancient and bearded in a little rickety pickup truck. He can be ancient and bearded and in a pickup, but not depressed. I will use a rolling pin, if necessary, to prevent that.

o   If I am made in God’s image and likeness, then God is more than likely continuously imaginative. Just try to fathom what He would mastermind on a given day, if He could dream up what we know about…

o   Every time we stop remembering what we already know, we forget what we could know if we kept moving forward remembering.

o   It filled the room, and it filled my life,

With a glory of source unseen;

It made me calm in the midst of strife,

And in winter my heart was green.

And the birds of promise sang on the tree

When the storm was breaking on land and sea.

Streams in the Desert



So, that’s all: just a little peephole through the garden fence into my past week.  If you read to the very end, I stand in amazement of your attention span. Tell me about your week, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment