Saturday, November 19, 2011

I Could Have Killed


The very first time I drove a fifteen passenger van was almost the last. Far away from home and hearth I was sent on a mission by my manager to deliver some important documents to a nearby office. Only the ominous van was available to make the trip. I climbed up into the seat, conveniently leaving my license at the front desk. I proceeded to rev the engine and began leaping forward out of the covered entry.



Suddenly, I saw my name emblazoned on a black and white newspaper spinning around and around coming closer to my face. “Teenage Girl Kills Pregnant Michelle Duggar and Infant in Fatal Crash.” I kid thee not. The sweet Mrs. Duggar was coming around the corner pillar holding her baby and happened to step in front of the van as I was accelerating into the two feet between us.



As you well know, the television star and lovely matron is now expecting again, therefore I did not hit her. Very good deduction you have there, Watson. The brakes on said wicked van caused it to lurch violently, but stop successfully. A generation of children was saved.



But why did I see the spinning newspaper with the headline? How often is that the first thing we see? Of course, I feared for her life and the children and all associated family, friends, and all…But the first thing I thought of was –my reputation.



The following months that ensued brought trials that further taught me that no one has a reputation that serves the Lord with their whole heart. We have to give it away completely if we are going to do what is right and live a clean life. I am reminded of the men who watched Daniel daily for weeks on end to trap him doing something wrong, how they gave up, and decided to fabricate a way of throwing him to the lions. Person doing good: that is what will happen to you and its not Murphy’s Law.



Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

2 Titus 3:12-14



We can be encouraged by this. It is a good thing if you are being put down for your faith in continuing to do right despite the odds! Getting hit by the wind shows you are in the front of the race. But if we’re not living boldly enough to be confronted, maybe we need to step it up. Because “all that will live godly in Christ” will get at least their reputation pricked…



The following is one of my all time favorite passages for inspiration. It addresses where our reputation belongs—and where a follower of Christ belongs.



Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:5-11



We get to choose what to do with our reputation. Do we constantly defend it, even to ourself? Do we let it go and just do what's right and let it show? So, that’s what I’m thinking about today. Don’t ask me why. That’s the fun part.

No comments:

Post a Comment