Thursday, July 19, 2012

Do WHAT to My Parents?




Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.


“What does it mean to honor my parents?” I frequently asked myself as a frustrated teen.

Then I inquired again as a young adult, as I continued to wonder at adapting this illusive concept into practicality.

Now that I’m (potentially) old enough to be your mother, I may have “figured it out!”



Does “honoring your parents” mean…

  • Thinking of them with every action or attitude?
  • Attempting to frame your life around their desires for you?
  • Allowing your parents to vicariously live their dreams through you?
  • Only doing their ideas or suggestions, while setting your own aside?
  • Forcing yourself to “suck up” to them, so they make life easier?
  • Adopting their standards or convictions so they are happy?
  • Choosing not to “think for yourself” to make sure you don’t collide with their opinions?
  • Keeping your mouth shut around them, so they don’t know x, y, or z?
  • Forfeiting honesty towards your own heart, so that their life is easier?


If you answered “yes” to any of these, I argue with you that your parents are not actually being honored and you are wasting a life that is actually yours.

If you strongly reacted that these are insane thoughts you would never dream of thinking, I argue with you that you may be more drastically selfish than you give yourself credit.



I don’t know all the details, but for me and my life…This is the “honor” I have come to realize.

  • Living a life dedicated to Someone eternally more important and loftier, than even family…and sacrificing your desires to reach higher goals for the cause of Christ
  • Building your life upon the gifts (time, lessons, wisdom, discipline, etc) your parents have given, but ultimately choosing for yourself how you build thereon.
  • Investing reciprocally in the family’s needs (time, cleaning, financial, food, etc) without motive of gain
  • Pursuing a relationship with your parents in the realization that no beautiful friendship is one-sided
  • Attentiveness to their needs and what they are telling, showing, or teaching you
  • Mutual respect, and often respect for their God-given authority more than waiting for it to be deserved
  • Thoughtfulness
  • Gratitude


When I found this place of “honor” my parents were more “pleased” with me than they ever were before when I vacillated between unhealthy "worship" like the first list, and a continuous frustration with “not measuring up.” Be yourself. But be the kindest version of yourself living for a higher purpose, and as a by-product it is certain your parents will be honored.





No comments:

Post a Comment