Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Press, Paparazzi, Protesters, & A Powerful GOD

I leaned back out of the way: again. "Can I take your photo?" clamored loudly, excitedly from every direction as the press, paparazzi, protesters, and fans squeezed in around us. They didn't actually want my photo, they just thought they did. I know it sounds odd, but people just are wondrously so. A piece of paper shoved towards me through the throng, followed by "Your autograph, please? Sign it to 'Bethany!'"


More amused than anything because I didn't look remotely like any of the celebrities I was with, I slipped securely through behind the Secret Service line, where it was quiet...most of the time. Sliding my aviators up, I said, "Hi...Thanks so much for what you're doing. You guys really are fantastic." S.S. John with the badge inclined his head professionally and indicated it was better than the desk. I started down a hall back towards our room and he politely raised his voice, "The presidential candidate is prepping, so I request that you go no further in this hall." "Of course!" I replied as I made an instant u-turn.


"What in the world was Johanna up to this weekend?" you ask. That I am asking myself, as well. But suffice to say my brother dubbed me via text a "celeb chaser" and they argued back that I was their "staff." But I was deeply impacted in another inspiring way...


Matthew 10:32-33
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
 



Matthew 16:26


For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?


Soon I found myself seated and listening to the Presidential hopeful campaigning from the platform. Wait, who was he campaigning for here? I was surprised and quickly looked around to see the expressions on the faces before me of a vast and varied audience and on the faces of CNN reporters, newspaper journalists, and a horde of media representatives. This politician was not just demonstrating his knowledge and ability to transform America, but also Christ's work of redemption, His position as Creator, and His power to save. I felt a twinge of guilt.


This is not common to speak of God like this in the public forum because people believe that others will take it wrong, which is true. But honestly, this man chose acknowledging God when opportunity presented itself, over praising himself. We can argue, and I just might, that this kills a political career...But I found myself asking myself "Who is really in charge? Who really does the impossible? Who raises people into power despite mankind?" Do I trust Him and believe His Word even in...politics? Who would you be, in his position?


This man I spent a few days with who honors the Lord with his words and actions may never be acknowledged for his true greatness as a leader among men. It is always an act of God to be elected President, yet he may never be Mr. President. But this I do know: he will be honored by the Power that Is, in greater ways than I imagine for so boldly acknowledging God before society. Would I be bold enough to take that responsibility and believe in the privileges it ultimately brings, possibly only in the world to come, despite the words of men and media? Besides...who says good men can't be put into office like He has done previously? I want to see God do His thing throughout all of time, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment