Sunday, March 18, 2012

She Said It


When away from family, I find myself missing the strangest of things. I become especially grateful for the individuality and craziness of my younger sister. She almost makes me feel like a normal human being. How I love her. Now when I sit in my quiet apartment on top of my king size bed, I miss sharing that little twin bed at home with the funniest little girl in the whole world. So, I open up the notepad on my Droid  and read some of the things she’s deadpanned lately, that stuck…
  •          Hmm. You smell good. That’s almost a plus.
  •          Well, no gifts for you under the tree and a day left ‘til Christmas. Looks like you can start crying now.
  •          You know we are only such good friends because we do bad things together, right?
  •          Oh! I know! You look like a couch cushion! That must be why I just want to squeeze you.
  •          I have a craving to make muffins.
  •          I’m getting bitter against the people who think I can do what you can do and do without you.
  •          My biography will be titled “From Diapers to Diapers.” Its not my autobiography, because obviously, I won’t be able to finish it myself.
  •          You know, its my fault you only think people like you.
  •          I drool on myself so people won’t think I’m capable of caring for my parents in their old age.

Needless to say, we have a lot of nurturing conversations to help guide this forming intellect. I have at times grown frightened that I may become more like her than she like the content of our frequent motivational conversations. However, it seems to have evened out enough so that people can only tell us apart by our midsection and hair. There is something to be said for working out. Now all I need is a new voice.

So as I work this week and plot my return home to hearth and home, I plan to enjoy every moment of her childhood. Its almost gone, really. Even though, thankfully, some people always stay a little strange. I’m hoping she’s one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment