Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Your Unnattractives Are On Bright

Don't you love how everyone is such a catch? I don't know about you, but it seems everyone has an advertising campaign running on overload trying to get the word out about their amazing qualities. I can't help but think that if it were so, in most contexts it would be obvious and wouldn't need a flashing neon sign saying "I'm intelligent!" "I'm brave!" "I'm so gorgeous!" Are you proclaiming your goodness?

I'm not talking about a little natural, good-natured, human nature when a guy rolls his sleeve up just a little bit more or a girl laughs accidentally at a dumb joke from a wonderful source. My address is to a person whose heart ceaselessly searches for admiration or adoration, laying lines and flaunting a little to feel valued. Yeah, that's actually...most of us.

Proverbs 20:5-6 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out. Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

My little sister once toddled about the house and would say to herself what a wonderful job she was doing, how nice her work was, and how smart she was. I once paused her in her literal self-absorption and asked, "Why are you saying those things about yourself?" Her response was a little eye-opening, "Well, no one else is saying it to me." How often do we miss the opportunity to be the "man of understanding" who draws forth the deep waters in others and is found "faithful" to proclaim the goodness of others?




There is no manipulation in pure and simple adulation and congratulation. Yet, it is the fastest track to encouraging refinement, character, and kindness in others. Do we miss the chance to make a difference because we're too focused on ourselves?

Proverbs 27:21-22 As the fining pot for silver, and the furnace for gold; so is a man to his praise. Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him.

So, I hit the "off" switch on my neon signs. Whatever really counts, shines brightly on its own. Most people won't notice the flashy lights either way while they are setting their own up, but I'd rather not be known for perfect boasting. What about you?





Proverbs 27: 2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

You are already worthwhile and worth it all. At least God thinks so, and that's saying something...

2 comments:

  1. Good Thoughts! Thank you for posting. I'm going now to tell the kids all the wonderful things they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. :) I'm sure the kiddos will love the extra encouragement today!

      Delete